2017-18 Restructuring Plan
Key Changes for Elementary School Students
Eastpointe Early Learning Center will open in Fall 2017.
- The Early Learning Center will focus on preparing young learners with necessary life experiences prior to kindergarten.
- Programs offered will include YMCA Before and After School Care, full-day and half-day Head Start, and half-day programs for students with disabilities.
- Eastpointe Early Learning Center will build early literacy and math competencies, promote social and emotional development, promote improved language and cognitive skills, and develop motor skills.
Elementary School Enhancements
Crescentwood Elementary and Forest Park Elementary
- Preschool programs will be moving to the early learning center.
- Transitional kindergarten will be implemented, serving as a bridge between preschool and kindergarten. It provides students with time to develop fundamental skills needed for success in an age and developmentally appropriate setting.
All Elementary Schools
- In future years, our elementary schools will investigate participation in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP).
Middle School Improvements
- Eastpointe Middle School begins the process to implement the International Baccalaureate Programme for 6th and 7th grade students.
- The IB program is an internationally recognized program that encourages students of all ages to think critically and challenge assumptions, encourages students of all ages to consider both local and global contexts, and develop multilingual students.
- During the 2017-18 school year, the district will begin work as an IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) candidate school developing a program aimed at encouraging students to be internationally-minded within a complex and hyper-connected world.
- The newly created IB Programme will consolidate the current 6th and 7th grade Advanced Learning Program (ALP) maintaining advanced coursework and increased accessibility to student supports.
- 8th Grade Academy provides a year-long transitional program to prepare students for success in high school. The school-within-a-school concept provides students with access to expanded advanced and elective course offerings.
High School Opportunities
- Eastpointe High School will offer new Career and Technical Education (CTE) opportunities made possible through partnerships with local businesses across Macomb County.
- Eastpointe High School will expand its partnership with Macomb Community College, which offers online college courses free of charge to enrolled students.
- Eastpointe Virtual Academy will be expanding to include 7th – 12th grade students using a hybrid model, site-based, and home-based learning opportunities.
- Eastpointe Alternative Center provides flexible alternative educational options for high school students emphasizing small class sizes, close relationships between students and teachers, and a sense of community.
- In future years, the high school will investigate participation in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) and Career-related Programme (CP).
Our New Name and Promise to Our Community
With so many exciting improvements happening in our schools, we felt the time had come to send a clear, powerful, and publicly visible message about our commitment to a high-quality education for all Eastpointe area residents and families, while also solidifying our bond as both a district and community.
Beginning July 1, 2017, we will be known as Eastpointe Community Schools.
We understand this change may be met with sadness and concern by some. Please know we will never turn our back on our alumni and the proud traditions they worked so hard to establish. Whether you graduated from East Detroit or are a future graduate of Eastpointe Community Schools, we will always be Shamrocks and we will forever be proud of our history and students!
While the East Detroit name carries with it proud traditions and fond memories, the new name and brand will carry that legacy forward by reconnecting the district with the community we are so proud to serve. We appreciate your continued support of our school district and look forward to serving you and your families for many years to come!