Alternative certification

If you have a bachelor's degree and a passion for working with children, you may be able to complete your teaching certification while working as a teacher at Eastpointe Community Schools.

Northern Michigan Partnership

Eastpointe Community Schools is excited to announce a new partnership with Northern Michigan University to provide a PAID pathway to teaching certification for ECS staff members.

STEP UP to Certification!


The district will pay NMU tuition for eligible candidates to achieve their teacher certification in exchange for a three-year commitment to teaching in Eastpointe Community Schools after certification.

Employees who already have a bachelor’s degree can pursue secondary certification in a core subject area. Current paraprofessionals can pursue a bachelor’s degree with a certification in learning disabilities.

Alternative Certification Programs

For more information on Michigan alternative teaching certification programs, please visit the university pages below:

ECS residency program with NMU